Ribbon Mic Preamp

Home Forums Recording Ribbon Mic Preamp

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Lake 9 months, 4 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 204 times

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Matt Vezey
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’d like to ask the forum for some advice on choosing a preamp for a microphone that I recently purchased. After doing some research and listening to recordings I decided to buy an AEA R92 passive ribbon mic; it seems to have a warm silky sound that I like and at a price point that I was interested in.

I haven’t purchased a mic preamp yet so I thought I would ask for some recommendations. I’m looking for something that is around the same price point as the AEA R92 which was $750. My audio interface is an AudioBox 44VSL so this would all end up going into that for recording. What are some good brands and models? Any vendor recommendations? I’d appreciate any help that can be offered!

Thank you,

Matt

Michael Lake
    Keymaster

Matt,

For over five years, I’ve been a Universal Studios Apollo user. The sound is great plus it provides a ton of plug-ins for effects as well as Mic Pre emulators. Now, you already have an interface, so the Apollo interface/converter is overkill. But since I am a fan of Universal Audio, I would look into the 710 Twin-Finity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4SMqSsliiA. It costs around $850.

My only caution would be that you are using an older mid-range converter/interface. At some point you’ll want to upgrade since it may lack the capability to capture the full capability of your AEA R92 and whatever mic pre you’ll get. It’s like getting a high end stereo amp driving low end speakers. You loose some of what your amp is capable of.

Post what you end up getting since you’re not the only one looking for these components.

Michael Lake
    mlake@altobone.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar