Playing well-known songs by ear

Home Forums Developing your ear Playing well-known songs by ear

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robert H. This post has been viewed 191 times Allen 9 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 191 times

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Michael Lake
    Keymaster

I consider this a starting point for developing the skill of improvisation. Here’s a list of songs you might try playing by ear. Start by playing one in a comfortable key starting on a comfortable note, then start choosing other notes, perhaps by moving up of down a step on the circle of fifths. Here’s a few to get you started:

Happy Birthday
      Joy to the world
      Three Blind Mice
      Amazing Grace
      Home on the Range
      Jingle Bells
      Mary Had a Little Lamb

Any pop tune you know really well will do as will any standard. Just choose one you know inside and out. The first test is to hear if you can sing, hum or whistle it.

Michael Lake
    mlake@altobone.com

Phillip Rios
    Participant

I underestimated exercises like these when I first went back to school. The UNT scale and tune exam felt like it was pulling teeth. After making it through the exam, I realized that I had grown so much as a player. These exercises aren’t ever easy for me, but the progress made it very tangible.

Adding these to my practice routine.

Cheers,
    Phillip
    phllprios@gmail.com

Michael Lake
    Keymaster

Phillip,

I’m curious, which, if any of these tunes can you easily play starting on random notes? How do you go about practicing this skill? Anything besides just trying it and seeing how you do?

Michael Lake
    mlake@altobone.com

Robert H. Allen
    Participant

Good info and thank you for mentioning this approach. I have not played for a while and I know that my bottom range suffered initially the last time i re-started playing until I was able to put several hours in. LOL

RobA7937

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar