Mouthpieces, Take 2

Home Forums Hardware Mouthpieces, Take 2

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robert H. This post has been viewed 225 times Allen 7 months ago. This post has been viewed 225 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Robert H. Allen
    Participant

Hi Folks:
    Well to produce the sounds we need a mouthpiece so I am putting this new topic here. What mouthpieces do you recommend and why?
    I started playing 60 years ago with a decent Conn tenor horn which came with a Conn 12C. It seemed to do the job well for me for 8 years or so through school. Joined a US Navy Unit Band and played a King 3B and it came with a King(?) 12C. After the Navy went to college and traded that old King in on a new tenor Bach Stradivarius which came with a Bach 12C. Several years and 3 children later bought a new Benge tenor horn that came with a Benge 12C which, 20 years later, is sitting here in Thailand on my desk in it’s vinyl case; clean. 🙂
    So I wake up last week and learn that the whole world of trombone players thinks us older, ahem, “mature” types should be playing a (Blessing) 6.5AL!!!

I have seen some of the newer mouthpieces available from mouthpiece makers like Elliot, Wick, and Wycliffe Gordon’s Signature Pro series mouthpieces made by Pickett Brass which are pretty reasonably priced for his “Master” tenor mouthpiece which he uses and compares to the Bach 5G or Wick 6AL.
    I have seen the Blessing 6.5 AL offered on Amazon for about $36 US which seem very inexpensive to me. My problem here in Thailand is that unless you want to buy anything outside of the country and have it shipped here you will need a second mortgage to help pay the excessive and seemingly arbitrary customs fees and taxes. It does not matter what the item actually is worth, it ends up costing you about 5 to 10 times that cost for the fees. The saving grace here is that we can get most things locally or through the online Lazada Company the Asian ‘Walmart’ lookalike. (Except for that Blessing 6.5AL mouthpiece…which Lazada wants about $100 US for…..)

So….what is your choice of a tenor trombone mouthpiece and why? And while we are at it, what is your preferred alto mouthpiece and why?

RobA7937

Barryk
    Participant

Hi Robert,

Just thought I would jump in on your 6.5AL mouthpiece topic. Just by way of background about myself, I collect tenor jazz trombones and all sorts of small tenor mouthpieces and I actually play trombone too. Over the past 20 years, I have accumulated a rather large collection of various tenor mouthpieces and in my early days of playing I played on a Bach 6.5 AL. I checked into the Blessing 6.5AL that you mentioned you were thinking about getting and I was not familiar with the Blessing mp in that size. Apparently, it’s made by Terry Warburton (who makes excellent mouthpieces) so at $36 US that might be a nice piece to pick up. I just wanted to throw into the mix the Bach Artisan model since you are interested in the 6.5 AL mouthpiece size. The Artisan mouthpiece line that Bach came out with a few years ago was made to the specs of the old NY Bach mouthpieces and Bach claims that the cup has 15% more weight to it. I am currently playing on an Artisan 11C and it plays just beautifully producing an excellent core sound. If you have not tried the Bach Artisan model just Google Bach Artisan mouthpieces and look at the specs of the mouthpiece. The price point varies on the Artisan models they are a little more expensive than the stock Bach 6.5AL mouthpieces coming in at just around $110 US or less depending on the vendor. I just purchased a new 11C Artisan model (in silver) for $96 US. Check out the Artisan model and good luck in your hunt for a great playing 6.5 AL mouthpiece that does not cost you an arm and a leg!

BarryK.

Robert H. Allen
    Participant

Hello BarryK:
    Thank you for your detailed response. 🙂 I will look into the Bach Artisans. I saw similar prices with Wycliffe Gordon’s Signature Pro Series in the Master format. I also saw Doug Elliot’s $230 one as well. 🙂 If I was still play professionally I would consider it but only after speaking directly with him. I like the looks and the sounds produced by the Wicks but all I have seen are the very expensive ones, again only if I was still playing professionally!! 🙂
    My issues with really good mouthpieces are two fold: First I believe I can improve over my standby 12C but do not have direct access to a knowledgeable source and Second, the severe limitations that I have for offerings here in Thailand. You can not simply order from the UK or the USA without paying enormous customs and duty fees always as much or more than the cost of whatever the item is. The only work around for this is to use the stellar on-line retailer here in SE Asia Lazada….but they do not carry any of the name signature pieces. The Blessing was like three times the cost here for the one on Amazon. And I am now more familiar with both the 11C and the 6.5AL. 🙂
    I did see a 6BS and the description of it sounds interesting as well. Thanks for your feedback!! Much appreciated!
    Warm regards, from Thailand!

RobA7937

Barryk
    Participant

Hi Robert,

Check out the attachment below to see the 5 different Bach Artisan mouthpieces. I wish I could get the print darker on this attachment but it is what it is. This may help out when comparing other mouthpieces you are interested in with the Artisan listed below. An 11C might be a nice alternative from playing your 12C…it’s always about comfort and personal preference. If you have a mouthpiece size you are interested in let me know, I have some duplicate Bach mouthpieces from my collection which I would be willing to sell which include a 6.5AL, an 11C and a 7C which are all slightly larger than a 12C. Just letting you know.

Good luck,
    BarryK

Robert H. Allen
    Participant

Hello Barry:
    Thank you for your very nice info and offer on the mouthpieces. Unfortunately I will have to pass as the customs fees and taxes would triple the price here in Thailand. We either buy incountry or from the Asian on-line retailer Lazada if they carry the item. Or travel to Hong Kong or China and find a music store. 🙂

RobA7937

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar