Contraalto Trombone?

Home Forums Alto trombone Contraalto Trombone?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff Gittleson 4 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 713 times

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

Woohoo! Db on the money on the first try! Ill need to cut a hair more off so it can be tuned, but thats no issue. I also have to solder up the inner slide/alight it so I can play it in more than first position, but i went through every partial, and its no better/worse than my Bb bass on a tuner.

Initial impressions of the sound of the instrument is the horn is overall a little brighter, which is easy to manipulate with the gauge of the bell material. Also, once i do the screw bell conversion, it may darken up a bit.

It this point, as a Db horn, this is very much a success. Once i have the slide aligned and soldered i will make some quick videos. I think you guys will be surprised at the result. Im not seeing a real need to go further, as at this size it meets all the requirements i have.

Now, since Doug pointed out I cant call it a Contra alto, what do i call it? A Db bass?

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

Heres a photo with the shortened slide.

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

Video evidence

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

I alto forgot to mention, there is a major advantage to Db. With dependent valves it makes sense to go Db/Bb/Gb. This way, there is added utility in two keys the user is alreay familiar with.

Bruce Guttman
    Participant

What a fascinating discussion. I’m anxious to see how it works out.

I guess we could call this an EEb trombone much like the large bore Eb tuba is called EEb (it’s still the same length as my 1892 3-valve Conn).

Also, I have a Carl Hampe method book where he mentions an E attachment for the trombone (rather than F). This would correspond to an A attachment for the EEb alto. Not sure if this is any better than the Ab attachment but I thought I’d throw it out. Incidentally, in the famous picture of the Boston Symphony brass players of 1921 Mausbach is holding a trombone with an E attachment.

Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

Bruce, been a change, sticking with Db for now.

Heres a size comparison shot. I will be dpong the valbes within a week, goong to do the Db/Bb/Gb setup

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

I think i lost everyone, but here’s a valve slowly being fitted.

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

Valve in G is done. Jist need to bend up linkage now.

Michael Lake
    Keymaster

Very interesting Jeff. You should make a video playing the horn with the valve. Maybe play a short excerpt of some bass trombone piece for comparison of the Bb bass and this?

Michael Lake
    mlake@altobone.com

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

Very interesting Jeff. You should make a video playing the horn with the valve. Maybe play a short excerpt of some bass trombone piece for comparison of the Bb bass and this?

Yup! Im waiting on a perch for the valve lever, then i have a few video comparisions planned. Thinking one exactly how you suggested, one with another bass playing duets, and if i can manage it, one playing in a section. I figure that’ll give a good sampling.

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

So, to share the latest, the bell section other than the lever perch is complete. I put a nice satin finish on it, no lacquer, as i am not set up to spray at present. With a little attention the valve is now reconditioned to as good if not better than when bach made it, just the tuning in slide to tackle.

I also started planning out the dual valve prototype (yes, I’m making 2 now) and am trying to see if theres a way to make an independent configuration work well. As a stroke of luck i found some parts i had laying around, so i have most if what i need to do it.

Heres a photo of the completed bell.

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

So I’ve had some guys locally try out the prototype, and ive gotten very positive feedback, so much so that this happened. Just waiting on the tuning slide and bell to solder everything up

Jeff Gittleson
    Participant

It grew a little, and slightly redesigned.

daverice
    Participant

Interesting ideas here. When thinking contra alto trombone. I think on my real old small Eb tuba. A fun little 3 valved horn. The Eb tuba is used in concert bands along with Bbs. Ther are used in brass bands and civil war bands and some brass bands. I know the tubing isn’t the same as the trombone. I’m only trying to thing about marketing a contrabass tronbone, in practical terms. As a player I love the idea. Honestly I don’t know where I could use one. That is not to say you may find a niche. Good luck with your project. Taking a look at little Eb tubas may give you some ideas and a feel for low Eb brass playing and sound. Just a thought. Go for it. And enjoy the process. Learning and creating something new, can’t be a bad thing.

Dave L

Daverice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar