Are cheap altos worth considering?

Home Forums Alto trombone Are cheap altos worth considering?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  daverice 9 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 254 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Parker
    Participant

I’d like to start playing alto but without spending $3,000!

Anyone tried the cheap alto horns like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alto-Trombone-with-case-and-mouthpiece-Eb-key/273203851247?hash=item3f9c37efef:g:8zkAAOSwdjdaMW~U

I’ve heard that some cheaper altos don’t really even have a 7th position. Is that true?

Robert H. Allen
    Participant

Hi Folks:
    I am going to answer this question purely from my own perspective which does not reflect Mr. Mike in any way: Yes, why not? In my case I am a “mature” and retired person living in Thailand who loves playing the trombone. After being out of the trombone loop for several years I have recently stumbled across: Mr. Alto, aka Michael Lake ( 🙂 ) our gracious host, Wycliffe Gordon, the big man with the miniature custom made alto, the Tubaskinny Jazz Band, and Gunhild Carling and the Carling Family. They all enjoy making music in their own way. But can I afford to purchase a very expensive alto purely for my own entertainment? No way; I am living on Social Security here!! LOL
    So what can I do if I am to believe Michael Lake that playing the alto is like manna from heaven? Buy an inexpensive horn and try it for myself.
    Seems that the pBoneMini has a very attractive price and Mr. Mike’s test video of same notwithstanding, it actually sounded decent once he sealed the slide with the silicone sealant. Problem solved as far as I am concerned!! LOL Anyone have any thoughts on this? 🙂

RobA7937

Robert H. Allen
    Participant

I want to reply to my own Post here…I just saw Michael’s MOZ video and I am very impressed with it for $189.00. LOL.

RobA7937

daverice
    Participant

Michael, Thanks for the Moz Alto trombone. Leap of faith, I purchased a Moz altobone last Saturday from Amazon. It arrived in perfect condition on Wednesday. In the box it came in was a real nice alto trombone case. Love that case. Inside the case was my new horn, the bell and the slide each wrapped in plastic film, kind of like big baggy.
    A mouthpiece and added straps for the case were concluded. Like Michael, I have always played on Bach 1.5 AL. On the road playing lead trombone for nearly two years and doing some studio work at RCA, back in the day, played itormbone and tuba in the 772 Army Band, Hollywood’s Coda Orchestra, 4 other symphonies, many big bands, R&B Circus bad, H, Clarks municipal band LB Ca, worked out of local 353. 70 years old now and I have Prostrate Cancer. Oops back to the Moz, it looks wonderful and feels good on the old chope. And a big thanks to Machael, he has been a big help to me and an inspiration too. So there is little excuse not go for it,
    Let us know when you get an altotrombone, what make, modle, and how you like it.
    Have to split now

Daverice

Robert H. Allen
    Participant

Hi troops:
    Well I did find the MOZs on Lazada over here in Thailand. Unfortunately the prices here are sky high for either the E flat or the smaller B flat MOZ. Close to $400 US for the E Flat model and $358 US for the smaller B flat model MOZ. That pBone Mini is starting to look so much better!!! 🙂
    I believe Michael’s video is of the E flat model. 🙂

RobA7937

daverice
    Participant

Nuts, for got to tell you the finish on the Moz I just got has a wonderful finish, Also want you to know that I had previously purchased a pBone mini alto trombone. The Moz is vastly superior to the mini pbone. I think I paid about $ 119 for it. The Moz kicks it’s butt for 60 dollars or so more. The Maz is not a pro horn to be clear but it is a fantastic instrument to feel and learn the altobone.. I always told my studests, when they asked when they can get a pro horn. My reply was always, “it is best to up grade an instrument, when you have played enough gigs to pay for it. Figure the anount you get for playing a gig, Next, multiply that number times what you get for a gig and you will have your answer.”. That is how I justified the purchase of all my horns. Believe me, it works. after all why get a horn that will never pay for it self?
    Need to correct my comment about my trombone mouthpiece. I have always played a Bach six and hale AL. Can’t tell you how many lead players have asked how is it that you have such a solid lower register? My answer,Using a good mouthpiece helps. Guy’s when you picked out the horn you wanted. Then why use a mouthpiece that cuts 10 to 30 percent of its capability.. Just saying. And a word about gigs, don’t play for free, or for beer. That is to say, if you want to be a pro player. So much to share and it is not my place to do so.

Moz, should tell you the slid is manageable. I’m searching for the best options to lube it. Don’t think I have any Ponds left. Drat!

Daverice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar