An exercise from the upcoming book, Rhythm Savvy

Home Forums Rhythm and time sense An exercise from the upcoming book, Rhythm Savvy

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Walter George 10 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 261 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Michael Lake
    Keymaster

As I write my book Rhythm Savvy, I want to post some exercises for people’s thoughts. This is an 3 minute audio file narrated by me that contains five variations of a phrase over a rhythm track. The timing of each variation is either early, late, right on, or a combination. Listen to the file and see if you can hear where each phrase lies.

I’ll post the answers to the five variations in a comment to this thread. Don’t peek until you’ve given it your best.

https://www.altobone.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Simple-melody-for-note-placement-with-ML-guiding.mp3

Michael Lake
    mlake@altobone.com

Michael Lake
    Keymaster

The answers are:
    #1: Note placement is ahead of the beat
    #2: Note placement is on the beat
    #3: Note placement starts ahead and ends after the beat
    #4: Note placement is behind the beat
    #5: Note placement starts behind and ends ahead of the beat

Michael Lake
    mlake@altobone.com

Walter George
    Participant

Mike,

Just received Rhythm Savvy, thank you. The book looks very nice and inviting.

The first thing I did was to have a look at the sound files; downloaded the zip files and also looked at them on soundcloud.

What I want to do is be able to play the sound files in Transcribe and slow them down. Without being able to do this, I would be way over my head given my current skill level. Slowing things down would level the playing field and allow me to use this book effectively.

The zip mp3’s in the zip file – none could be read in Transcribe, Audacity, and a specific mp3 player because of the zip format. Soundcloud has an upload feature but it would be tedious to download the mp3’s one by one.

Is there any way you could put regular mp3 files on a cd and send it to us for a nominal fee?

Thank you.

Michael Lake
    Keymaster

Walter,

I want to understand the problem better. Are you saying that you’ve downloaded the zip archive, uncompressed it and now have all the various MP3s? And you cannot play the MP3s on a player you own?

There shouldn’t be any difference between these MP3s from the zip archive and any I would burn to a CD.

To test, attached is one of the original MP3s.

Michael Lake
    mlake@altobone.com

Michael Lake
    Keymaster

Walter,

I want to understand the problem better. Are you saying that you’ve downloaded the zip archive, uncompressed it and now have all the various MP3s? And you cannot play the MP3s on a player you own?

There shouldn’t be any difference between these MP3s from the zip archive and any I would burn to a CD.

To test, attached is one of the original MP3s.

Michael Lake
    mlake@altobone.com

Walter George
    Participant

Mike,

Thank you for responding to this problem of not being able to play the mp3 files in Transcribe to slow them down. I was able to play them in another music player both from the zip and Soundcloud sources.

It turned out the problem was a Windows 10 issue of what is your default music player is set to, which in my case was not Transcribe. If Transcribe were not set to be the default music player ( under settings, default apps ), one could not play these mp3 files in it even if you opened the Transcribe program and pointed to your directory of files. If you set Transcribe to be the default music player, everything worked fine and the files could be recognized and played.

Sorry to bother you on this. Hopefully this info can be helpful others if they encounter a similar problem.

Thanks you again for reaching out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar